What is a Party Wall or Party Structure?
Is my work affected by the Party Wall etc. Act?
You must find out and check whether your work is covered by the Party Wall Act. Your local building control and planning departments will not tell you. You might want to check with your architect or designer.
If you intend to carry out building work in one of the following categories, you must correctly notify all affected neighbours by sending a Party Wall Notice:
- Work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property.
- Building a free-standing wall of a building up to or astride the boundary line.
- Excavating near a neighbouring building
What is a Party Wall or structure?
Party Walls or Party Structures are defined as one of the below:
- A wall that ‘straddles’ the boundary line between two premises is a party wall, even if it has not been built against and does not form a part of the neighbour’s building.
- A wall that divides two premises and forms a part of the structure of both is a party wall. This applies even if only part of the wall forms a part of the structure.
- A flank wall of a building that has been built against is a party wall to the extent that both premises use it. This means part of the wall can be a party wall, and part might not be. This would be the case even if the enclosure was done after the building was originally built.
- A garden wall straddling the boundary is called a Party Fence Wall — repair costs will be shared under the Act.
- Other parts of a building may be party structures and need similar processes and notices — for instance, the floor between two flats is a party structure.
What do I need to do now?
How can Collier Stevens help me?
As specialist Party Wall Surveyors, we offer a professional and bespoke personal service to residential and commercial occupiers and owners affected by Party Wall matters and can advise on the need for Party Wall Notices, Party Wall Agreements or Party Wall Awards.
If you have received a Party Wall Notice, we can advise on the best method of response and negotiate and agree a Party Wall Agreement for you.
If you’d like to see an example of our Party Wall services, take a look at one of our Case Studies here.
Can I serve my own Party Wall notices?
If your work is very straightforward, you might be able to serve your own Party Structure Notices. We have a set of free party wall forms and notice templates that you can download. but you must be careful.